Portland has done voice work for:
- Commercial VO Demo Portland Helmich 1:18
- Narrative VO Demo Portland Helmich 2:38
- Corporate Narration Portland Helmich 2:15
- Crime Drama Podcast, Stranglers Portland Helmich 1:04
- In-Store Explainer Video Portland Helmich 1:02
- Documentary Film, JFK: The Last Speech Portland Helmich 0:36
- E-Learning Portland Helmich 0:35
- Technical Narration Portland Helmich 0:26
- PSA, Project Safe Neighborhoods Portland Helmich 0:31
- Medical Sample Portland Helmich 1:26
- Audiobook Demo Portland Helmich 4:06
- Audiobook Excerpt (Thriller): The River at Night by Erica Ferencik Portland Helmich 1:02
- Audiobook Excerpt (Self-Help, Nutrition): Grow Younger, Live Longer by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. David Simon Portland Helmich 0:46
- Audiobook Excerpt (Comedy): Uncommon Women and Others by Wendy Wasserstein Portland Helmich 1:11
- Audiobook Excerpt (Children's Story) The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery Portland Helmich 0:53
- Audiobook Excerpt (First-Person, Romance): Live and Let Love: Notes from Extraordinary Women on the Layers, the Laughter, and the Litter of Love by Lis Peery Portland Helmich 0:56
- Audiobook Excerpt (Descriptive Prose): The Unclouded Day by E. Annie Proulx Portland Helmich 0:47
- WGBH Radio Morning Story: "All the Time in the World" Portland Helmich 3:50
Portland has lent her vocal storytelling skills to commercial and corporate voice-overs as well as to television, public service announcements, and documentary films for over 15 years. She’s voiced corporate and commercial voice-overs and PSAs for:
Fidelity Investments, Hewlett-Packard, Dunkin’ Donuts, WCVB-TV, the American Red Cross, Prentice Hall, Perkins School for the Blind, Appleseed’s, Project Safe Neighborhoods, Genzyme, Mellon Financial Corporation, Biogen IDEC, Jenzabar, Lightbridge, Lahey Clinic, California Dental Board, National Education Association, Milton’s, Delmar Thompson, UTC Power, Trinity College, Creation Project, Massachusetts Technology Collaborative, DePuy, Chittenden Bank, Cambria Consulting, Sugarbush, Vermont Public Television, Accu-Time Systems, Flywheel, Foss Carpet Tiles, “Above All Don’t Text and Drive,” and more.
Her voice can be heard narrating films and interactives at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, the Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut, the American Writers’ Museum in Chicago, Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, and she’s the narrator of the documentary film, JFK: The Last Speech, which she co-produced in conjunction with Northern Light Productions.
For three years, her voice was heard on WGBH Radio in Boston, where she read local news, grantor credits, and weather reports during NPR programs such as All Things Considered, Morning Edition, and Marketplace.
It all starts with a great voice. Portland has a very smooth delivery and a wonderful sense of tone and tempo. I’ve always respected her approach and ongoing care of the craft. She was a pleasure to have on staff here at WGBH for several years. We certainly miss her versatility and the vocal excellence she contributed to the sound of our air.Stephen J. Charbonneau
Portland is the host of the acclaimed podcast, Stranglers, produced by Earwolf and Northern Light Productions. The 12-episode audio documentary podcast, which she co-produced, re-explored the Boston Strangler murders that terrified the city of Boston between 1962 and 1964. Stranglers boasts an average listenership of 310,000 per episode.
She’s also the host of Kripalu Perspectives, a podcast she created and produced for the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. On Kripalu Perspectives, Portland interviews leaders in the natural health and wellness movement like Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Mark Hyman, Tao Porchon-Lynch, Dan Millman, Panache Desai, Dr. Stanislav Grof, and Snatam Kaur about topics like meditation, yoga, nutrition, positive psychology, and more.
Portland was the driving force behind the creation of the Kripalu Perspectives podcasts. As host and producer, she brings a high-level of professionalism and knowledge to every episode. Her ability to ask just the right questions is proof of her dedication to preparation, thorough research, and a genuine interest in what she’s doing. Portland’s engaging style and gifted voice draws the audience in—and leaves them wanting more, regardless of who she’s interviewing. Working with her is a dream—she delivers a product that far exceeds our expectations!Lisa Pletzer